Tuesday, May 1, 2012

White Chocolate Lemon Truffles

Ever have that "go to" recipe you always turn to when you need to make something on the fly?

I haven't. Until two weeks ago.




Sure, I love to bake cupcakes and cookies. I especially like eating them. But sometimes they can be so time consuming. Just the thought of having to attempt one of those recipes on short notice makes me lazy. Besides, whenever I rush a recipe, I end up completely tanking. (example: pouring 2 tablespoons of salt into a batter when it CLEARLY says teaspoon and not finding out until after i bit into it.)

So every now and then I like to switch things up. Make something sweet that requires no baking and very little of my attention span. Truffles are the best way to go!  My mother in law's oreo truffles spawned the obsession. I also dabbled in some strawberry cheesecake truffles a few weeks back.





I stumbled upon these white chocolate lemon beauties on Pinterest (I don't know what I would without this website sometimes) and knew I had to make them. It was love after first bite. Corny, but true. The list of ingredients is minimal and the final product will dazzle you. The texture of these truffles are silky smooth. Hints of lemon ooze out of this velvety white chocolate. The best part is they are so easy to make. Melt all the ingredients together and cool for about two hours and you have yourself a delectable dessert that will impress everyone. (I have made these 3 times already!)


     (recipe from Kitchen Simplicity)


1 cup white chocolate
5 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. heavy cream
pinch salt
1 tsp. lemon extract
icing sugar, for dusting

Melt chocolate, butter and cream over a double boiler or in a microwave. Stir until smooth.

Stir in salt and extract. Allow to cool slightly before covering with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.

With a melon baller or small spoon scoop out mixture and form into 1 inch balls. Toss with icing sugar to coat.

Store covered in the fridge for up to one week. Freeze for longer storage.



**Baker's Note** --- I had several taste testers for this recipe, all of which loved them. But some came up with a few flavors you could add to this recipe if you wanted... Like cherry, orange or raspberry. Yumm. Not gonna lie, I will be trying one of these soon!



What's your go to recipe for a quick and easy dessert? I'd love to know!

love.love.love.  & happy baking!
Pin It!

40 comments:

  1. looks delish, will definately be trying. wish you had a print button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use the snipping tool. It comes pre-loaded on most computers. Just go to your main start button and search for 'snip'. :)

      Delete
    2. you can also copy and paste in your word processor or notepad feature.

      Delete
    3. Left click and drag to highlight the part you want. Then right click the highlighted section and click print preview. Change the setting at the top to "As selected on screen" and print.

      Delete
  2. ANYTHING WITH LEMON IS WONDERFUL! THIS AND OTHER FLAVORS WOULD BE A GREAT HIT! FYI....THE OREO TRUFFLES ARE AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I MADE THESE AND DIPPED THEM IN CHOCOLATE THEY WERE AMAZING

      Delete
  3. When you say one cup white chocolate, do you mean one cup of white chocolate chips or melted white chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the way it is written would be the chocolate chips.....because she says to melt them in the directions portion of the recipe...

      Delete
  4. too easy to not try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic! I recently had a recipe that had lemon, white chocolate, and mint. I think adding a little fresh mint in these would be delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic! I recently had a recipe that had lemon, white chocolate, and mint. I think adding a little fresh mint in these would be delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was really quick,easy and good. I went to buy some more white chocolate, and the store was sold out, so I adapted the recipe: I used semi sweet chocolate, cherry extract and sprinkled with sea salt. Very good too

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems they should be called "White Chocolate Lemon Balls", because, to be called truffles, they should actually have some truffle in them. Truffles are mushrooms, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL We all know truffles are mushrooms but there is something called "chocolate truffles"! Holy moly - look it up! LMAO

      Delete
    2. some truffles use cream cheese. Is it possible to use the cream cheese too

      Delete
  9. Check the 2nd definition, by the way...

    Definition of TRUFFLE

    1
    a : the dark or light edible subterranean fruiting body of several European ascomycetous fungi (especially genus Tuber); also : any of various similar fruiting bodies of related fungi
    b : a fungus that produces truffles
    2
    : a candy made of chocolate, butter, sugar, and sometimes liqueur shaped into balls and often coated with cocoa

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look fabulous, and will be the next creation on my table! I have to say, my daughter and I spend hours coming up with cookie/truffle ideas. ie: Nutterbutter, Mint Oreo, Pumpkin Spice, Carrot Cake, Lemon Poppy, and Gingerbread, to name a few . We're pretty excited about these! Can't wait ....as a matter of fact....WHY wait?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in charge of the cookie table for my great aunts'(twins) 80th birthday celebration. These will make a great addition to the table. However I needed to know the yield for the recipe. I finally found it and it yields 24 as written. Just an fyi for anyone else who may need it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried making these last night and they didn't turn out well.
    I'm not sure what I did wrong, but my mixture wasn't firm enough to stand on it's own. Every time I made a truffle and set it down it would just settle into a puddle. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can add powered sugar to it and make it firmer , I do this if I make a batch of truffles and they are to soft.

      Delete
  13. Just a heads up this person is using your photos and recipes claiming them as her own
    http://tophatter.com/users/711506
    https://www.facebook.com/theladywyvern

    ReplyDelete
  14. Griselda, try adding more white chocolate, or less butter [I use 1 1/4 cup white choc chips].

    A suggestion [that I've tried and successfully tested on co-workers] is if you have some lavender, add a bit in:
    I took an equal amount of table sugar and culinary-grade lavender and threw it in my coffee grinder....it turned into a nice, fine powder. Then, take some of your powdered sugar and mix in a bit of the lavender-sugar [to taste - I prefer approx 50/50-ish]. It adds just a little 'extra', and it's SO good!
    And to the most recent "anonymous" person that posted about that "tophatter" lady? I looked it up, and the photo might be the same, but the ingredients she claims to use are different than those listed here, so not *quite* the same.

    ReplyDelete
  15. chocolate mint would be nice too

    ReplyDelete
  16. what about almond extract? would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  17. may i know why after i melted the white chocolate and butter, the oil float on top and doesn't mix together?

    ReplyDelete
  18. when you say heavy ,you mean sweetened milk? it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think not condensed milk but heavy whipping cream ,2 different things

      Delete
  19. Can you use White almond bark instead??

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been searching Key Lime truffle recipes and was wondering if I could use Key Lime juice instead of the lemon extract?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am going to use some lavender buds and leaves for flavoring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is it possible to use real lemon instead of lemon extract?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. extracts are different then real lemon or real lime or whatever, extracts are a very condensed liquid that makes whatever you are cooking taste like lemon or almond ,whatever you are making. it's like food coloring , you can color food with the real fruit but it is not going to be as dark as when you use food coloring.

      Delete
  23. WOW! these truffles look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  24. and the recipe doesnt look too complicated, more importantly they look simple awesome like in Papa Louie's restaurant games, i'll prepare ingredients for truffles and give it a try tomorrow, wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. How many truffles does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
  26. So far these are a soupy mess. Going to leave in the fridge another hour or two.

    ReplyDelete