Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Break from the "Cake": Oreo Balls

You were expecting a cupcake post maybe? I siked you out! :)

 

My mother in law Barbara is one of the greatest cooks I have ever met.  Watching her take even the simplest of ingredients and turn it into something to drool over always amazes me. My husband and I don't get to visit as often as we'd like, but I can promise you, whenever we do make it out to Oklahoma, I gain about 10 pounds in one week. I just can't stop eating her food.

The very first time I was able to meet her, she made these Oreo balls. Ryan kept telling me before we even got there, that I would go nuts over them. He was right on the money. These round little balls of joy are chocolatey, creamy, and ABSOLUTELY addicting. Once you pop, you can't stop (yep, just like Pringles). She sent me home with a box of these for the plane ride. I think about half of them made it to our condo.

And the best thing about them? They're SO easy to make.

Let me show you how...



Oreo Balls:

1 package of Oreo cookies (I used double stuffed!)
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (I used light to attempt to make them less naughty)
White chocolate morsels
Milk chocolate morsels



The How To:

1. Crush Oreos into a fine mix. You can use a food processor, blender or just a bowl and wooden spoon. I put some elbow grease into it and crushed them myself.



2. Mix in the cream cheese until it's well blended.

3. Roll mix into balls.

4. Place balls on a cookie sheet and stick in freezer for about 15 minutes to allow them to set.

5. Melt white chocolate morsels with a double boiler. (I used a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water.)

6. Stick toothpick in center of Oreo and dip into the white chocolate.

7. Place back on cookie sheet and place back in freezer for 15 minutes to allow chocolate to harden.

8.  Melt milk chocolate morsels same way as mentioned above. (You won't need to use as much, as this is just for drizzle.)

9. With a spoon, drizzle milk chocolate over the Oreo Balls.

10. Stick in freezer for another 10 minutes to allow drizzle to set.





A big thank you to my fabulous mother in law for sharing her recipe with me. I know they reminded Ryan of home.

 If you decide to make them, I guarantee you people will give you a big ol' pat on the back. My entire office devoured these in a matter of hours. Great success.






Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to make these! I will let you know how they turn out! :)

    ReplyDelete