|i wish i had one of these RIGHT now.|
Did anyone ever mention that a baking addiction makes you gain weight? ! I’m shocked to report it does (Note sarcasm here.)
In an attempt to make my new fitness goals successful (drop 10 pounds of “sugar” weight), I made a vow at the beginning of this month to lay off baking until Christmas Eve. I failed miserably and lasted 12 days. Hey, it’s better than nothing. In my defense, the ingredient I used for this recipe just couldn’t be resisted, especially since it’s only in the grocery stores once a year. Carpe Diem ladies and gentlemen!
Eggnog! Love it or hate it, it’s a Christmas staple. My dad has a deep and personal relationship with the stuff. I’m not partial to it, but it IS super fun to bake with!I recently scored my first mini muffin pan and decided to make these cupcakes in the miniature version. Holy Cupcake, Batman! These little guys were so quick to make. I was able to bust out like 50 mini cupcakes in 15 minutes! I will definitely be using the mini tin more often! (I also did a few in the larger size with some batter I had leftover.)
|how cute are these little bubs?! :)|
There isn’t much to say about these holiday treats, except they are so tasty and full of eggnog flavor. They were also demolished in hours. The cake is light and airy with hints of spice. The eggnog frosting was just as sumptuous. I topped them off with a little ground nutmeg for aesthetics, but a cinnamon stick would look quite fancy too!
This is perfect cupcake for the eggnog lover in your life. Here’s how to make them…
1 1/4 cup cake flour (i strongly suggest using it. makes the cake so moist and light!)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg at room temp
1 large egg yolk at room temp
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup eggnog at room temp
The How To:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with 12 baking cups. (If you use mini, like I did, line a mini muffin tin with liners)
2. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into medium sized bowl and set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together, about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
4. Scrape down the sides of bowl as needed.
5. On low speed add the egg and yolk one at a time. Beat in oil and vanilla until incorporated.
6. Gradually add the flour mixture and egg nog, alternating between the two, beginning and ending with the flour mix. Do not overbeat.
7. Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for 10-12 minutes (for mini cupcakes). 18-22 cupcakes for regular cupcakes. Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
EggNog Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temp. not melted.
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
pinch of nutmeg
2 -3 tablespoons of egg nog
1 tablespoon of rum (or rum extract) (optional)
With an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese together on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until incorporated. Add the vanilla, the nutmeg and the tablespoons of eggnog. Add rum if desired. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Pipe onto cupcakes and garnish with ground nutmeg or a cinnamon stick!
|This last pic stinks. But I wanted you to see all the little guys together!|
Stay tuned for posts on my holiday bake-a-thon extravaganza! My cookie baskets turned out great! ;)