Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Apple Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream




I really enjoy the month of April.





My father and I are both April babies. This could be the explanation of why we're both completely addicted to sugar. He's actually the one who taught me to indulge on spoonfuls of sweetened condensed milk when no one was watching. Yes, I still do it. There's no shame in my game.

Since my dad  l-o-v-e-s caramel to pieces, this cupcake was perfect way to celebrate another fabulous year of his life. A light cinnamon cake laced with tart Granny Smith apples, topped with a rich caramel buttercream. My dad finished the frosting before he finished the cake. I guess we never really grow out of it..





(recipe adapted from Baked Perfection)


3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated Granny Smith apples
1 tsp caramel syrup




The How To:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin pans with cupcake liners.

In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and sugars until creamy. Beat in the apple juice, vanilla, and vegetable oil. Slowly add the flour mixture, mix until just combined. Stir in the grated apples and caramel syrup.   Bake 20-22  minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. Cool completely before frosting.

Makes 24 cupcakes.


Caramel Buttercream

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 tablespoons milk
1 pack of Duncan Hines Frosting Creations in Caramel flavor

In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Once frosting is mixed, mix in 1 packet of caramel frosting flavoring. I decided to take an easier route by making my buttercream a caramel flavor with Duncan Hines' caramel frosting flavoring. (You can find these little packets near the boxed cake mixes, they are cheap and amazeballs.)


Frost your cupcakes and drizzle with caramel sauce.





Yum yum in my tum.


Has anyone else tried these awesome new frosting flavoring packets yet? Any other I should try out?

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment