1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup whole milk
½ cup strong brewed coffee at room temp(I used a Kona Blend)
1½ teaspoons instant coffee granules
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1. Mix the instant coffee granules into the brewed coffee until dissolved. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with liners.
3. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
4. Beat the butter and both sugars together on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined. In a measuring cup, combine the milk, 2 tbsps of Kahlua, brewed coffee mixture, and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture, alternating with the coffee mixture, ending with the dry mix.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from muffin tins and pierce several holes in top of each cake with a fork. Use the remaining 2 tbsps of Kahlua by brushing the top of each cake several times so a small glaze forms. Cool cakes completely before frosting.
3 to 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons Bailey’s Irish Cream (you can use any Irish Crème Liqueur)
1 tablespoon milk