Every year myself and a tightly knit group of women venture out into the mountains for a girls' wine weekend. Yes, it's just as fun as it sounds. We make the trip up to Delaplane,Virginia to pay a visit to some of the best wineries located in our great state. I seriously count down the days until this trip appears on my calendar again. We travel from NOVA, Pittsburgh and Virginia Beach and meet each other for a jam packed weekend of wine. A Tahoe is stuffed with tons of wine tasting grub and we mosey on over to 6 or 7 fantastic wineries. Smashing good time, ladies. I strongly suggest you planning something like this yourself for you and your gal pals!
|Me and my lady friends! Martha, Sally, Shawna, Me and Stacy!|
|Finger lickin' good, right Martha? :)|
Wine and Cheese Cupcakes:
(recipe adapted from the Cupcake Project)
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 oz Camembert cheese (you could also use Brie if you like!)
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup dry red wine (I used Shiraz)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another medium-sized bowl, beat the butter, cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Alternately mix the dry ingredients and the red wine into the butter mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the walnuts.
- Mix in chocolate morsels.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. (you want the batter to rise to the tops are somewhat high to frost)
- Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
- Frost cupcakes with chocolate ganache.
Red Wine Chocolate Ganache
- 2 oz dark chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 oz red wine (I used Shiraz)
- Place the chocolate and the butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 10 seconds and then remove and stir.
- Repeat step 2 until the chocolate is all melted.
- Slowly pour in the wine and mix thoroughly.
- Place in the refrigerator until it hardens enough to easily spread (about 10 minutes).
- Spread on cupcakes.
|Stacy took a bite. Anything for a good shot ;)|
**The fabulous pics for this post were taken by my best gal and newly engaged woman Stacy from Delightful Dish! Check out what's cooking on her blog!**