Boy, do I love camping. One of the very first things Ryan (the hubs) and I did when we first met was hit Cape Hatteras for some beach camping. And what goes along perfectly with camping? Making S'mores!
Along with my strong love for Nutella, I would say my affection for marshmallows is pretty high up there as well. Nothing is more fun than roasting a marshmallow (or charring it like I usually do) over a campfire and assembling that little graham sandwich of goodness. So in honor of that I decided to make these cute little guys. I started with a chocolate cupcake and did a marshmallow frosting and topped with some Hershey and graham cracker. Take one bite of this cupcake and it screams S'mores. And what's better than that?
(Click read more for recipe)
adapted heavily from Glorious Treats
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder ( i used Hershey's)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/1 teaspoons baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup boiling water
makes 24-27 cupcakes
1. Line muffin pan with paper liners and heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add the eggs,milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
4. Stir in the boiling water (batter will be on the thin side, this is fine)
5. Fill liners 2/3 full with the batter.
6. Bake cupcakes for 22-24 minutes.
7. Cool completely before you frost. About 1 hour.
2 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons water
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a large heatproof bowl, combine egg whites, sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar and salt.
2. Set bowl over, but not touching, simmering water in a saucepan. Heat the mixture until sugar has dissolved and the mixture is very warm. (160 degrees) Takes about 3 minutes.
4. Remove bowl from the saucepan and beat on med-high speed about 2 minutes.
5. Add marshmallows to mixture. (If you are using a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer, I would suggest melting the marshmallows a little before putting them in.)
6. Mix on low speed and them add vanilla.
7. Continue beating on low seed until the mallows have melted and the frosting has cooled. (3-5 minutes).
8. Use right away.
To assemble your cupcake, frost cool cupcakes. If desired, use a kitchen torch to brown the frosting. I HIGHLY recommend this because it really gives the cupcake that S'mores appearance. After you torch the frosting, add a piece of Hershey's chocolate and a piece of graham cracker.