Wednesday, September 21, 2011

They're Spiked!: Pina Colada Cupcakes



If you like Pina Coladas.... getting caught in the rain... If you're not into health food.. if you have half a brain...


I'm cuckoo for coconuts. I know for some it is an acquired taste, whether it be because of the texture or the taste (some have mentioned to me it reminds them of eating sun tan lotion, SAY WHAT?!) My husband happens to be one of these people. He normally won't go near the stuff.

But, if you are a lover of the coco like myself, me thinks you will like these. And might I mention that it WAS raining when I made them. (Please see corny yet awesome lyrics from Rupert Holmes song above if you are confused.)

Okay, starting to ramble. Moving on...

No ingredient was spared to make these. They contain all things that remind you of the tropical cocktail. That's right, booze included. I had a lovely bottle of homemade coconut rum my pal Tracy bought me from St. Martin that was begging to be used.  I was a little worried since the liquor was blue, but they turned out just fantastic. The cupcake is moist and even a little wet from the bits of pineapple, its juice, and the coco rum. Toss in a little coconut milk, frost with a coconut cream cheese frosting and you have quite the saucy pastry that will have you craving for seconds. And thirds.



How cute is this bottle, right??




Pina Colada Cupcakes:
(Recipe from Cupcake Project)


1/3 cup coconut rum (or any rum you have on hand)
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup pineapple juice (I used the juice directly from the crushed pineapple can.)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup+ 3 tbsp sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup crushed pineapple



The How To:


1. In a small bowl, combine rum, coconut milk, pineapple juice, and vanilla. Set bowl aside.


2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set bowl aside.

3. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

4. Add eggs to the sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition.

5. Alternately add the flour mixture and the rum mixture, beating well after each addition.

6. Fold in the coconut and pineapple. (Don't stir, FOLD!)

7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.

8. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.




Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, room temperature

1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp coconut cream


1. Mix cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
2. Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time. (About a 1/2 cup at a time).
3. Mix in coconut cream.
4. Pipe onto cupcakes.

I toasted some shredded coconut and sprinkled it over the tops.


Ugh. What crap lighting I have in my condo. Plus, like I said, it was raining.


 My office went insane over this recipe. Ramonde, our office "food critic", said they had a "blast of flavor, but the coconut wasn't overbearing", adding these were my best cupcakes to date. Even my hubs munched on these! (Who I have already told you HATES coconut!) Yeahh dawwg.



Try these. Please and thank you.










Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. There IS alcohol in them! hah!! This will be my next batch of cupcakes when I make some! Sounds delicious! P.S. Don't forget, your neighbors also make excellent food critics....give those coworkers a break...heheh

    ReplyDelete