Thursday, September 29, 2011

Strawberry Heaven Cake



I seem to be on a fruit binge lately. But the recipe I am about to drop on you is much more forgiving on your waistline.  Caught your attention yet?

If angel food cake, ice cream and strawberries had a love child, this cake would be it. It's absolutely heavenly. Hence the name.

I wish I could say I dreamed this dish up all on my own, but that honor must go elsewhere. This recipe was inspired by a treat I had at my pal Shawna's bridal shower. Her maid of honor made it. I could have taken the giant serving spoon and polished it off myself if there hadn't been 20 other women ohh'ing and ahh'ing over it too. I slightly adjusted a few things by adding some sugar free options, fresh strawberries and some homemade vanilla whipped cream to top it off.



Strawberry Heaven Cake
(inspired from the kitchen of Allison Mansfield)


1 pre made angel food cake
1 3oz. package of instant french vanilla pudding (I used sugar free)
1 cup milk
1 pint of vanilla ice cream, slightly melted at room temp. (I used SF Blue Bunny homemade vanilla)
1 3 oz. package of strawberry jello (I used SF)
12 oz of sliced strawberries (I used fresh, but you could use frozen)



 
Homemade Vanilla Whipped Cream
1/2 pint of whipping cream
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla


 
The How To:

1. Break up a pre-made angel food cake into approx 1 inch squares and lay evenly in a 9x13 pan.
2. Mix together package of instant french vanilla pudding, milk, melted vanilla ice cream (just let the ice cream melt on the counter top at room temperature) with mixer on low speed.
3. Pour mixture over top of angel food cake.
4. After pouring ice cream/pudding mixture over cake, place pan in fridge while prepping next step.
5. Mix together strawberry jello and 1 1/2 cups of boiling water in large bowl.
6. Pour in sliced strawberries into strawberry mixture.
 7. Pour this mixture over top of the angel food/ice cream mixture.
8. It's important to NOT mix any of the three layers together! Set in refrigerator for at least 2 hours prior to serving.


**To make the whipped cream: beat whipping cream with mixer. Do not over beat or else it will get too thick and buttery like. (I have done this several times before) When cream begins to thicken, add sugar and vanilla. Stir and serve over top of cake.**


Don't you just wanna eat the whole pan??

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment